Berea Traditional Dulcimer Gathering
May 16 – 19, 2019
at Berea College, Kentucky
Note: This event is utilizing the facilities at Berea College but is not
sponsored by Berea College or the Berea College Appalachian Center.
To register click here and let us know you are coming.
E-Mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or comments.
Welcoming fans of dulcimer history and traditional dulcimers from all regions.
* Emphasis on traditional dulcimer history
* Emphasis on noter & drone, finger dancing and bowing
* Emphasis on modes in DAA, Ddd, DAC, DAG or equivalent tunings as necessary
* All skill levels
* Experienced and knowledgeable players
will mentor and teach folks in these areas.
* No attendance fee
* Attendees get a free noter and quill
MEALS AND LODGING
Attendees may stay at a residence hall on the Berea College campus in downtown Berea, KY.
***Bring your own *** bed linen, pillow and toiletries including a towel.
COST: $25 per night per person, payment made when you arrive with cash or check please.
There are no camping hookups on the campus. However, there are two campgrounds within 3 miles of campus.
Campus Dining Services will provide All You Can Eat, 3-meals a day, pay as you go.
(Remember your note book!)
DAILY TOPIC – lecture or playing lesson on some aspect of traditional dulcimers
or dulcimer history.
* Virginia luthier, Bobby Ratliff, will bring a dulcimer he's made out of multiple woods and attendees
guess the wood species. Whoever guesses correctly wins the dulcimer. It will be one of his Piglet Hogfiddles.
* Builders/Historic displays/Traditional Vendors – no charge for space
* Playing individually or in small groups, whenever and wherever
* Open Mic Night
Laid back, relaxed:
* Each day morning, afternoon, and evening topics.
* Playing in small groups when/wherever
THURSDAY (16 May 2019)
· Throughout the day register/check in
· Evening: after supper casual gathering in common area to meet and greet and talk old time dulcimer talk
FRIDAY (17 May 2019)
· a.m. Two hands on talks pertaining to vintage and historical dulcimers at Loyal Jones Center by Prof. Mills and Mr. Miller
· p.m. TBD
(18 May 2019)
· a.m. Visit with Warren May in his shop, downtown Berea
· p.m. Dulcimore making discussion with Dulcimore Dan in house
(19 May 2019)
· a.m. casual gathering in common area/last minute discussions
· Noon: Checkout
Check back often as we will be updating frequently!
* Image courtesy of Karen Bennett *